The roof is arguably the most important part of your house. It’s not an accident that we talk about “the roof over my head”, rather than referring to the walls or floor. So, when you need to have your roof repaired or replaced, it’s vital to make sure it’s done to the highest standards. And that means choosing the best roofing contractor.
How to Find a Roofing Contractor
Avoid any company that approaches you with a hard sell. Reputable contractors don’t cruise around the area in order to spot roof damage they can offer to repair.
The ideal is to find a company recommended by a friend or relative, but failing that you can make a list of local roofing contractors from online listings. Then is the time to start checking their credentials.
Things to Ask a Roofing Contractor
• Are you a registered and licenced company with a physical location?
• How long have you been in business? A new company may be fine, but a long-established one inspires confidence.
• Are you recommended by trade organisations such as Checkatrade or Trustatrader?
• Can I see a portfolio of your previous work? Unless the company is brand new, any refusal or reluctance is suspicious.
• What kind of materials do you work with? There are many roofing materials, so make sure they have good experience with the one you need.
• What are your normal working hours? You want a company whose practices fit in with your needs.
• Do you give a guarantee? If not, give them a wide berth.
Also, check both testimonials and independent online reviews.
It’s best to get three quotes from contractors who’ve inspected the roof. This not only enables you to select the best quote, but also compare the various assessments of what needs to be done. If there’s a big discrepancy, one may either be exaggerating the amount of work, or else be intending to skimp.
Price is obviously going to be an important factor, but the cheapest quote isn’t inevitably the best. Find out exactly what you’re getting for your money, including the estimated time, whether they undertake to leave the site clean and tidy, and the proposed payment method. This should be a secure method — any contractor who works on a cash-only basis should be viewed with suspicion.
And make sure you get the quotes in written form, even if the initial feedback is verbal.
If you’re looking for a quote to have a roof repaired or replaced, feel free to get in touch with Empire.